1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the gunstore today determined to purchase a 1911 style pistol, being completely new to them (except for a Para-Ordnance abomination). All I really wanted was a simple, no frills pistol. I kept looking at the SA mil-spec, but I didn't like that the frame was made in Brazil. I looked at some Colt 1991s, but they all had the old rollmark that I don't care for all that well. Well to make a long story short I ended up getting a NIB Colt WW2 reproduction 1911A1. The thing is simply beautiful. It came in a nice Blue carboard box with a Colt logo on it, inside of it was a small, brown, and very simple box that contained some mags and the pistol, wrapped in wax paper.
The only downside was the price was much more than I wanted to spend. Is this model more expensive because of limited numbers or what? I don't really care that much, cause I ain't ever selling it.
So, whats the word on these pistols? Someone please offer some reassuring words to make me feel better after dumping so much cash...
Anyone else have one? If so, is it a shooter or what?
Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
75,411 Posts
You didn't tell us what you paid for it. Lots of folks on this forum like theirs. I'd own one too if the price was less than $700 or so.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ive seen one in my town for $999.00. Springfield Mil spec for $499. NEB

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought mine two months ago for $800, which, compared to a lot of quotes I have read for this model, seems 'reasonable,' though it is the most I had ever spent for one handgun (not counting aftermarket stuff and gunsmithing). I agree that the going price is steep, but I'm certainly not kept awake at night thinking about my expense. I absolutely love my WW2 reproduction. Surely it isn't my primary shooter; I have a workhorse 1991A1 that fills that role. I bought it mostly for its nostalgic appeal(no extended safeties, ventilated triggers, or sweeping high grip beavertails for me)and for the simple fact that I presently cannot find a genuine military or commercial 1911A1 of that era of equivalent original quality and condition for the same price. Perhaps I am just unobservant, not well connected, or unlucky. Whatever the case, maybe someday these 1911A1's will hold some collector value of their own in the distant future, but I don't think I'll ever sell mine, either. In my opinion, the WW2 reproduction is the kind of pistol Colt should be making, their niche, and they ought to apply the same 'custom shop' attention of this product to their entire line.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
On monday I will pick up a new (been in a dealers safe) Series 80 38super. Cost.....$800. Yikes..you will say, what a dummy. That's at least $200 more than it's worth. That amounts to 2 trips a week to Dunkin Donuts for a year. I have passed many gun deals cause I thought the gun was priced too high, and later kicked myself.
AllKill......If it ain't gonna put you in the poorhouse ya buy the damn thing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The other day I saw an old (old compared to the new one that I haven't see yet) rollmark 1991A1 SS in the dealers case next to the LWT Officers XS that we bought.

They wanted the same amount of money for the 1991 as they did the XS, $699. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
very good indeed. i envy all that are allowed to buy those things. where i live, i'll be lucky to buy a 22 in a few years. good luck with your new baby. give her a kiss for me.

------------------
Nothing like the smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Send it to a customizing house and have it modified for accuracy. What a gun it would be then. The ultimate show piece! Whatever you do with it your ok. As even most serious Colt people. Won't search for one until production is ended. And the value has more than doubled.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Don't feel bad about the price. I doubt that you're the first guy on this forum to enter a gunshop and leave having spent much more than he intended to spend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts