1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not trying to steal the thunder away from napawino, walksoftly, keno813 and the other posters with their excellent '43s, but since today seems to be 1943 Colt day on the forum so I'll throw in my latest purchase. It's maybe 97%, not stone-cold mint but still in excellent shape with little sign of use. All correct and likely original, even down to the open-ended recoil spring. Perfect ghost marks on the back of the firing pin stop plate from the numbered slide, and a clean barrel with just a small spot inside the bore where some slight pitting formed from collected moisture. As usual I found the thing absolutely dry as a bone inside and I think I heard it breathe a sigh of relief once I cleaned it up and oiled it inside and out. Please excuse the color variations in the pics, but there are some terrible wildfires going on in Eastern Washington at the moment and the sun was literally blood-red this morning, which played tricks with my camera.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
You're not stealing any thunder with that one... just keeping the rumble going!

Beautiful pistol, amazing condition... one to be proud of, for sure. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
It's been a nice 1943-Colt week. Congratulations on your latest addition, dsk. The pistol looks like it was not shot at all. The blue on the barrel visible through the ejection port looks pristine. As usual, dsk, your pics are excellent. The other folks who posted pics of their 1943 Colts had excellent pics as well.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Great finish, very nice to get one with the numbered slide. That's a KEEPER in my book Congrats!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Wow! It really was a day of 1943's. That looks REALLY sweet, dsk. Congratulations on a great find and purchase. What a beauty.

And please, don't worry about any "thunder stealing". It's all about sharing the wealth. Everybody gains both pleasure and enlightenment from seeing all of the photos. :)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Very nice....congratulations....I'm the lucky owner of a 43 also and love it

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks! Today I gave her a proper bath, completely cleaning and degreasing all the parts and giving the bore a really hard scrubbing. Fortunately almost all of the gunk came out of the barrel and I'm left with just really small area of pitting near the chamber end that's of no consequence. I did find a tiny spot of rust at the front of the slide about the size of a pin head, but it may be better to leave it alone than try to clean it off. I see virtually no evidence of this pistol having been carried inside a holster, and most of the slight finish wear I see appears to have come from handling and sliding around inside whatever box or drawer it was kept in all of these years. I've only ever owned one Colt that was closer to mint than this. The amazing part about it was that buying this pistol literally involved a leap of faith, as the seller provided almost no info in his ad and the pictures left a lot of unanswered questions. I could only assume that it had a matching slide based on comparisons betwen it and the rollmarks of another pistol in the same range shown on Karl's CD. I had to keep my fingers crossed regarding the barrel. I don't recommend other buyers take chances like I did, but I was willing to roll the dice this time and fortunately came out a winner.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wow! not even an idiot scratch present, beautiful Colt M1911A1 mid-September 1943.
Must be one of the last pistol with matching slide/frame serial number is that right?

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a slight "idiot" scratch (more appropriately called a reassembly scratch), but it's only visible at an angle. The SN on this is 1125xxx, and slides were numbered up until somewhere around 1138xxx. My other '43 is 1142xxx and does not have a numbered slide.

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Army actually taught recruits to drag the slide stop up the receiver in order to get it underneath the plunger and push it in, so you can blame Uncle Sam for teaching generations of shooters how to put the so-called "idiot mark" on their 1911s. The government didn't care if their guns got scratched as long as soldiers could put them back together easily.

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Holy cow Bob, that is a nice one as well. Looks like it was just taken out of the kraft box and issued for the first time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts