1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to add to the long list of threads on this subject, but I couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I've got a Mil-Spec onto which I'd like to add a commander-style hammer. The twist here is that I like the look of the standard grip safety and don't want a beavertail.

Hopefully my descriptions will make sense here... I recently bought a C&S 3.5# drop-in kit that wasn't so "drop-in"; in addition to the Springfield thumb safety not working with the new internals, the grip safety wouldn't accomodate the new hammer's full-cock sweep. In other words, the back of the hammer hits the top of the grip safety before it can hook onto the sear.

I know I could just send the pistol back to Springfield, but that's too easy. :) Any suggestions for a commander-style hammer drop-in kit (preferably 3.5#) that will work with the stock Springfield thumb safety and grip safety?

Thanks for any suggestions, guys...

·
Registered
951 Posts
It has always been my opinion that "drop in" means drop in and see your favorite gunsmith. Again IMO

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input, Roy. I agree - since there are so many slight variations in the 1911, I guess it's almost unreasonable to expect true "drop-in" parts.

Has anybody tried the Nowlin 3.5# kit from Brownell's? Again, it has to work with the standard Mil-Spec grip/thumb safeties.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
TheOtherGoose,

Sorry to tell you, but you can't use a commander hammer with your Milspec grip safety. You will need a drop in beavertail at the very least, and yes, you will have to refit your thumb safety.

The easiest solution for you may be to buy a C&S drop-in trigger kit that has the spur style hammer. But still, you may have to refit your thumb safety.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You'll have to do what i did to my mil spec. Get a commander type grip safety or grind yours down to accomidate the hammer

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
yeah...i am going thru this decision process myself. i have dedided to let a smith do this kind of work. i am a perfectionist.

and i am not exactly mechanically inept. if i have the tools, i can do anything. i am not buying the tools for this work.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, guys. I was worried that I'd get into trouble by asking about this subject, since it's been discussed so much in the past.

I guess I'll get used to the stock spur hammer. I thought about getting another stock SA grip safety and grinding it like FR8owner did. Then I found out how much a parkerizing kit cost(!)

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a grip safety thats already been modified but would have to be refinished to match your pistol. Let me know if interested and I'll take a few pics for you.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You'll have to do what i did to my mil spec. Get a commander type grip safety or grind yours down to accomidate the hammer
for what its worth, i like those style grip safties, i dont care to have a commander hammer ( unless it comes on the gun) but if i was i like that style of most of the beavertails around.

happy new year

russel
SDMF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts