1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I know this isn't the "Sistema Forum", but I have a question I haven't seen answered on the boards. Just how good are the Argie-made model 1927's ? Is the heat treating and metalurgy about the same as Colts was? How do they hold up under use? as good as USGI? I love shooting mine as it looks sooo much like an early A1. The fit and finish are excellent (not a refinished gun). The thing looks like the transitional in Goddards book!! I mean if it was made to Colt specs, under Colt trained inspectors, on machinery and procedures outlined by Colt's people....it seems it should be about as good as the Colt product of that time.
Answers and Opinions always welcome!!!
Thanks,
Montana

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi Montana,
I have one and it shoots great, I know a lot of people whom have had them as shooters as well and no complaints! Dana might be able to speak to the metal, but I am not aware of thier specs and have not seen reference to it as well. Only real value I could ad in this post is sounds like you got a darn good pre-rebuild gun and enjoy! If you do find out more in your travles on this issue I would be real interested in learning more on this topic.
Cheers
Ty
Cheers
Ty

------------------
Visit my 1911 site www.CoolGunSite.com

[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,799 Posts
Topics regarding surplus guns are welcomed in USGI as well.

Your Sistema is fully USGI in fit, finish, form and function. In other words, it has all the plusses as well as limitations imposed on older 1911s. Those "limitations" lie in the fact that the steels used in pre-1950's guns were not quite as tough as those of today, plus tempering was more of the spot-treating variety than the more thorough methods used today. So shoot it all you want, but go easy on it (avoid a steady diet of +P loads, for example).

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys!,
I have been shooting this pistol to try to keep from shooting my '44 Colt USGI ( It's almost working!!!). DSK.. now that you mention the spot hardening, I was wondering about that half-circle of slight shade difference around the slide-lock cut on the slide. I went on the pic-post topic in this forum and found the same mark on one of the posted pictures ( I thought my pistol might have been repaired, but now know it's spot-hardening). I don't get to cruise this forum as much as I'd like ( job scheduling), but I'm sure learning alot when I DO get here. Could either of you recommend a good book on USGI 1911's, I'm an information sponge.
Thanks
Montana

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi Montana,
There are two real good books by Charles Clawson on this subject and are with out doubt the best reference.

1) 1911/1911A1 Service Models by C. Clawson. Real expensive and hard to find now a days with prices seen as high as 600 USD.

2) 1911 and 1911A1 Collectors Edition, only 140 pages but has all the important points you would need with photos. This book can still be found in the 60-80 range. Does not have all the shipping records or history stuff the big book has. But you can get that from Goddards mentioned below.

Two other good books are the 1911 to 1945 military pistol reference by Harrison and Goddards book on 1911 Colt service pistols (his book is only about the early 1911 and has great examples along with colt shipping records, but not the parts details for collectors) It contains a lot of history about the early trials as well as examples of all the 1911 manufacturer during WW1, and can be had from Amazon.com.

By the "Gun List" mag at your local barnes and knoble and in it you will see a ad for a small book store out of ohio, they are selling the small clawson and have the richardson as well. Sorry the name escapes me.

Cheers
Ty

------------------
Visit my 1911 site www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Montana (and others)....it just so happens that I have started an internet project that deals with the Sistemas. Maybe some of you would be interested.

It should be a real hoot to follow along as I make a fool out of myself, and who knows, we may even learn a thing or two about these old Sistemas

Please check it out if you get a chance:
http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

------------------
I guess if we do that.....maybe we all earn the right to go home.

·
Administrator
73,799 Posts
Very nice Website ya got there. Good luck with your project!
But you won't see me checking back there that much, as seeing anything done to alter a bee-YOU-tee-ful GI-spec gun just makes me cringe.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry about that DSK....to be perfectly honest with you. I feel kinda guilty about it myself. I originally bought both Sistemas specifically for this project.....but when I got em and looked at em, I started to have second thoughts. Just for the record. I bought a third one and am keeping it mil-spec (I chose the niceest of the three).

Wish me luck

------------------
I guess if we do that.....maybe we all earn the right to go home.

·
Registered
417 Posts
This from the JLD website:

"After obtaining a license for the production of the Colt Model 1927 pistol from Colt, manufacture of the Sistema Colt Modelo 1927 was undertaken at the Military Small Arms Factory in Rosario, Argentina. Manufacture is believed to have started in March 1945 and deliveries shortly thereafter. The Sistema is a carbon copy of the Colt Government Model/M1911A1, with complete interchangeability of parts."

I got mine from CDNN about two weeks ago, and I'm finding it very hard to get anything else done except reload brass, and go out and shoot it with my new Systema. I'm even losing sleep!

I can't speak for anyone else, but, if I had the money handy, I'd get another one...or two, or how ever many I could afford.

This gun is shooting so well that I haven't done any of the mods I was thinking of doing, even though I have the parts to do it. If I do carry through with any of the mods, it'll be to replace the plastic grip panels with the Pachmeyer (sp?) wrap-around rubber grip I got for another project that never came off.

It shoots on a par with my M70, and the other 1911s I've had through the years, including my first one, which saw service in the Pacific island-hopping campaign in WWII.

Every time I get it out to shoot it, I hesitate only because I know that I'm gonna get it dirty. Doesn't stop me, though.

[This message has been edited by feedramp (edited 07-24-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts