1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time luker, first time poster. Not quite sure where to put this post so we'll see how it goes.

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1* Springfield that was done by Yost-Bonitz. I would be purchasing it from the woman who had the work done. Any ideas what would be a reasonable price to pay. Of course it's in fantastic shape and the work done is simply flawless. She has all the documentation and obviously it has the 1* on the slide as well as the Yost-Bonitz Customs(if I remember correctly, on the dust cover). Thanks in advance.

Dan

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Look at the Louder than Words site.

I'm no expert at all - there are experts you can ask - and perhaps pay - for an appraisal. Of course see also GunBroker and GunsAmerica; Yost is an easy search term - better than Jason or Steve I suppose.

Time was I would have said a discount from the price of a new one depending a tad on backlog.

Given that Heirloom Precision has replaced Yost-Bonitz for much of the handgun work by Mr. Yost and crew there is no price for a new 1*.

That said then I'd expect this one to be a little less than a 1* with deluxe options or a 1* on a Colt on the used market with a plus for condition. On that basis my WAG is the pistol in the condition described should be worth close to the last price shown for a new one or perhaps about what the given pistol cost new.

As always a little less for a quicker sale and a little more over the long haul.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
I haven't done the research, but I'd go 75% of new cost. Ted's 1* guns were meant to be shot hard, and were great shooters. His new endeavor is in totally top notch full customs. Really no way to compare values from then and today.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That is the pistol I am speaking of as a matter of fact. The dealer was at the local show today and I was able to "fondle" said pistol this afternoon.
That pistol didn't speak to me. For $1800 I would look elsewhere personally. I'm sure there was some goodness there I didn't see so, it might be the right pistol for you.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ted and Yo-Bo do multiple levels of 1*, some of which are nearly a full house custom (1* Elite). I would ask to see the build sheet - which Ted usually sends out with the pistol - at least he did for me when I got mine. :) A standard / base level 1* is going to be a fully functional bullet-proof 1911, adn is worth at least teh cost of the customization that was done to the pistol.

Were I selling my 1* elite with custom options - checkering instead of serrations, plus more - I would want to try to recoup 85-90% of the customization cost, and throw in teh pistol for nothing - depending upon the type of pistol of course. A fair deal is better then no deal at all.......

In other words pay for the customizing less depretiation and get the pistol for free.

My $0.02, your mileage may varry.

JeffVN

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ted and Yo-Bo do multiple levels of 1*, some of which are nearly a full house custom (1* Elite). I would ask to see the build sheet - which Ted usually sends out with the pistol - at least he did for me when I got mine. :) A standard / base level 1* is going to be a fully functional bullet-proof 1911, adn is worth at least teh cost of the customization that was done to the pistol.

Were I selling my 1* elite with custom options - checkering instead of serrations, plus more - I would want to try to recoup 85-90% of the customization cost, and throw in teh pistol for nothing - depending upon the type of pistol of course. A fair deal is better then no deal at all.......

In other words pay for the customizing less depretiation and get the pistol for free.

My $0.02, your mileage may varry.

JeffVN
I completely forgot to ask which level 1* it was. I have sent her an email she'll most likely get this coming week asking all the questions I forgot to ask. I was pressed for time while there so things I wanted to ask I just didn't have time. I'm in no rush to get it. But it did peak my interest as I am in the market for a $1500-$2000 1911 and will most likely buy one after tax returns.

That pistol didn't speak to me. For $1800 I would look elsewhere personally. I'm sure there was some goodness there I didn't see so, it might be the right pistol for you.
That's the exact reason I like the gun. It's subtle and that's the way I like it. My friend I was with(doesn't know much about 1911's nevermind who Yost is)was unimpressed and couldn't understand why I was so interested in it. I spoke with the seller for a brief time and she said she would be willing to knock off a decent amount for me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I spoke with the seller for a brief time and she said she would be willing to knock off a decent amount for me.

As was said earlier, they are not being built anymore. Their work speaks for itself. So It is worth what you are willing to pay for it.
BAK

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
What's a '57 Chevy worth? No blue book on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys. There are plenty of options for me in the price range I have so I'll do some more thinking and looking.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
There are a couple for sale over at Louder Than Words. Check them out and see if they compare to yours. Gotta remember, true or not, the Colt builds will always sell for more than the Springfield builds.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
So true...I check daily, and have many online friends sending me links. If you want it but wait, it'll be gone. Know your market and prices, then jump immediately when you see what you want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts