1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone will want pics, but the pics on Ted's website are better than any I can take. My gun looks pretty much identical to the SRT he has on his site. But let me tell you about the gun I just received. Back when FNHipower.com was still around, I bought a 69 Commercial from some poor guy who needed $400 more than a practically new hi power. The blueing was worn from holster storage, but that is it. I sent it to Ted in January and it just came back. Patience is important. He put Heine sights on it and a front sight with a gold line. I wanted a gold dot, but he didn't want to do it. I learned one thing from this build, trust the professional. The way he reformed and special mounted the rear sight is amazing. He makes the sight fit the hipower better than its original design. The front sight is serrated with the gold line, and it is great for indoor, low light shooting. He dehorned the pistol like a master and polished the flats of the slide before rebluing. You can hardly tell the rollmarks have been touched, but the flats shine like a mirror. The sharkskin stippling on the front and back strap makes the other stippling I have on other hi powers look like crap. I don't know how Ted does it, but it is a unique finish that gives a great grip. The magwell bevel is smoother than I've ever seen and the 50 lpi down the top of the slide is perfect. A nice touch that I was unsure how it would look on a hipower.

The best part of the whole gun is the trigger job. Ted welded up the back side of the factory trigger and the inside of the frame. This moves the trigger back and eliminates the trigger take up. The trigger travel is more than cut in half and there is ZERO over travel. It breaks clean at 4.5lbs and resets shorter than any hi power trigger I have ever seen. If you don't do anything else with Ted, send him a hi power and ask him for his very best trigger job. It is well worth the $200.

I have a C&S full house hi power and I've seen many Novak and other custom Hi Powers. I'm putting my Mark III in a box and sending it to Ted in a few weeks. I've seen the best, there is no reason to use anyone else.

I feel bad for the poor devil who sold me the gun for $400. He wanted to have it customized, but couldn't do it. Four years later the gun is everything any Hi Power fanatic could want. I wish I still had his email so I could send him some pics.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Congrats!
I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've figured up a HiPower on Yost-Bonitz's Gunbuilder.
If I ever come into a fair amount of money, a HiPower is going to them ASAP. I should just go ahead and send one for the trigger job.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
This thread is WORTHLESS without PICTURES, Tim!

WORTHLESS.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
worthless

Harsh, H. Very Harsh. If you want to see it, you can get out to NC and touch it with your own two hands.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
"...don't know how Ted does it, but it is a unique finish that gives a great grip."

Ted does have exc. photo's on his sight! Had another name shop do two Hipowers of mine with hand "matting". Looks OK, but wore down to the point of being almost worthless in about two seasons of fairly extenisve shooting. Sounds like Ted's is deeper and "grippier"?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ditto to what TDowdle said. Here's two pictures (I hope) of the original SRT package BHP (with Novak's large rear sight, BarSto barrel, and Spegel Delrin grips). It had a blue finish when first built, but sent it back to Ted for hardchrome application by Virgil Tripp shortly before he got out of the business. I'm glad he's back in!

Best regards, SRT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts