1911Forum banner

Yost Signature Grade Hi-Power...

5K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  molonlabe28 
#1 · (Edited)
In the industry today there are a lot of catch phrases that one can find slathered all over gun periodicals as well as the computer joy we call the internet. And particularly over the last few years quite a few have become common place and almost favorites within the gun community. Just a few of these more commonly encountered pet phrases/words are things like “real world”, “hard use”, “match grade”, “CQB”, “combat”, “operator”, and of course my personal favorite “tactical”. It seems that “tactical” in particular can actually be used to describe anything :rolleyes: ... I even once heard a belt described as being “tactical”. And while I realize that all of these words have legitimate uses and applications one is forced to take a reality check and remind themselves what these things really mean and if they are truly applicable as the definition implies. ;)

Although somewhat less common, another phrase is one we at the shop take to heart, Signature Grade. While it can be construed to mean one thing or another (depending on who’s tossing the term around) for us it means an all out effort and endeavor to build something that we hope will be described as ’the best’. Signature Grade, as we apply it, means a complete conversion performed by one ’smith and one ’smith only with no corners cut and the direction, work, and ultimately the control over the final product and all its details being in the hands of one man, the builder. Signature Grade is a personal dedication to deliver to the customer nothing but the best we personally can accomplish.

Pictured here is one such example... a Yost Signature Grade Hi-Power.

The base for a Signature Grade starts with our standard SRT Hi-Power conversion featuring full reliability work, flattened and serrated slide top, high visibility sights, custom made Yost thumb safety, beveled mag-well, high-cut and stippled front strap, trigger job with new ignition components, complete de-horn, and more. The SRT is an apt place to begin, as the conversion is something we have designed to efficiently address what the Hi-Power needs while also blending those needs with cosmetic touches we’ve become known for.

From there the SRT is expanded on with hand-cut 40lpi checkering front and rear, flattened and serrated rear of the slide, and most notably the welded-on beavertail. With the welded-on beavertail Ted fits a C&S commander style hammer that becomes part of Ted’s signature trigger travel reduction. Completing this particular pistol’s conversion are the hand fit Spegel stocks and Peters Stahl match grade barrel... I guess “match grade” works in this situation and the proof is in the shooting. Round out the build with a few more touches to include a new coat of blue with a hand-polished slide and the recipe for a Signature Grade Hi-Power is complete.

Pictured with the original “real world, hard use, CQB combat-operator approved, tactical” IWB, the Sparks Summer Special, this Hi-Power is on its way to Texas come Wednesday... enjoy the pics! :D

See less See more
#15 ·
Damn nice looking beavertail...thats the best HP version of it that I've ever seen.

#19 ·
Hey Barry... sorry for the delay... the barrel was supplied by the customer. It was a bit bigger and allot longer before Ted chipped away at it though.

Beautiful HP, but who is this Jason guy? He's got only 17 posts? He thinks he's Ichiro or something with these photos :)
Yeah who is that guy and only 17 posts... shouldn't there be a "1" and a "0" before that? ;)

Ichiro... nah I'm pretty sure he's allot taller than I am... :biglaugh:

#21 ·
Jason, you guys continue to do classic things to classic pistols. You also do some new and innovative things too.I especially like the serrations and reshaping on the rear sight and rear of the slide. I've never understood the need for the beavertail on a Hi-Power. I must be the only guy around who doesn't get slide or hammer bit on a Hi-Power.
And I'm still caught in the checkering/stippling controversy.

#23 ·
Did the pics disappear or did i not do something right?

#25 ·
Do you have to be a full Member to see some of the pics?

#27 ·
What you see above is one of the reasons I have the small retail operation I do. I may not be able to own the craftsmanship but I can see it as it passes through as that one did.

I was fortunate to see this one in the "metal" (for lack of a better term) and it is an impressive piece of work.

Checkering is rare on a Browning as with the thickness of the front and back strap along with curvature makes it a difficult if not impossible task on many of the older framed Brownings (dependent on frame maker at the time). Some of the newer guns have enough metal for 40LPI as this one is.

I have been very fortunate to see many other works from other craftsman.

Good job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.