1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 17 year old step-son and I were having a SHTF scenario conversation the other day because he was acting all macho thinking he's some sort of mountain man rugged dude (typical testosterone driven arrogance you see in a lot of male 17 year olds claiming expertise about pretty much ANY topic you throw at them I have to say) and he made an assertion about what he'd grab if things went south fast and required a bug out of even the suburban home for the plains or the mountains... and while I personally 100% disagreed with his particular choice, it was firearm... which got me to thinking about the notion:

If you could only grab one firearm (this means you can grab a kit, a knife, a machete, heck even a bow... reasonably whatever else IN ADDITION to a firearm, but you can take ONLY ONE firearm (whether that be one handgun, one long gun, it can be ONLY ONE) for the purposes of personal / family defense, hunting, everything you might need a firearm for, and let's say a reasonable amount of supporting ammunition and magazines (if applicable) - what would your choice be, and why?

·
Registered
23,532 Posts
There are a lot of ifs here.

But just straight off of the top of my head, I would likely grab my Noveske Rogue Hunter. If I had to go with a hand gun, it would likely be one of my S&W model 1006s.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The 10/22 might be the smarter choice. It will kill game for food and can kill a man if needed while being able to easily carry thousands of rounds. But I'd probably also end up grabbing my Noveske.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Ar15. I live in a high crime area.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My first choice would probably be the 10/22.

Light weight and easy to carry

Light weight ammo allowing a lot to be carried

Accurate enough to be used for both self defence and hunting out to 100 yards or so.

I know that many will baulk at not using their .300 win mag doe medium sized game and up, but many many animals have been taken by the lowly .22LR. It is also something that, although not the best caliber, is adequate for self defence if needed.

Of course, it really does depend on the SHTF scenario we are talking about. In most conceivable scenarios we are talking about survival and not having to repel an invading army. In a survival situation, I would be more interested in avoiding conflict.

·
Registered
948 Posts
An AR fits the "One and Only" well. Ammo is light, the gun is light, It can kill things from a long way away. etc.

A 10/22 is a second possible first choice. It will put down a deer with a well placed shot. But from an eating perspective its better to kill small game that wont spoil and can be eaten in one day. So a 22LR is better than .223 for Squirrel and Rabbit. For noise its quite and if shot in the woods the sound wouldn't carry far.

Surviving in the sticks 10/22. Escaping from an urban environment AR.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
12 or 20 gauge shotgun hands down if I really had to live off the land and be able to defend myself with one firearm. Squirrel, rabbit, dove, quail, turkey, deer, predators of all sort - four and two legged...a shotgun with an assortment of shells can take them all with minimal destruction to valuable meat. In a SHTF scenario, you are not likely to focus on medium-large game for food. There would be too much waste involved with no refrigeration.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Suppressed sbr ar probably

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
You can conceal a handgun. Easier to hide. Way better self defense than a 10/22. I have a feeling that wild game will disappear very quickly. Within two weeks every squirrel, rabbit, deer,dogs and cats will be gone. I hope the get those filthy geese also.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That is tough. If it were two its easy and ar15 and my cz 9mm.

if it was only one probably the rifle as you can do more. Good question though.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Suppressed SBR AR15. I can carry lots of ammo, it's light and quiet, there are many just like it, ammo is very common, I can hunt and defend myself with it, I can get in and out of vehicles, easier to maneuver in close quarters, the list could go on forever.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Any quality .22 rifle should work, you can carry a heck of a lot of 22 shells, I'm a very avid grouse hunter so I know how heavy even a couple boxes of shotgun shells can be. Within 100 maybe even 150yds if your following me and not a pretty woman, your AR, shotgun or whatever might just be mine anyway.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I forgot to mention one of the reasons I'd probably choose a 22 rifle, is if you went through a good share of abandoned vehicles or furniture cushions or whatever in rural America there's a good chance of finding some type of 22 ammo.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The problem is, every SHTF scenario is different. One size scenario does not fit all. But based on an end of the world scenario I'd go with my AR-15 with scope (and BUIS). But I can't think of a scenario that would not permit a handgun, in which case I'd take my Steyr L9-A1. Love my 1911s, but ammo weight would be a definite consideration.

But based on where I live and my family situation, I'd be more likely to hole up in my house with access to water (free flowing stream), game (deer, rabbits, squirrels, neighbors' pets :)), and good fields of fire.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts