1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an origional Colt 1911 given to me by my grandmother. The story is that it was carried during WWI by a friend of my grandpa's.
I put in a new GI barrel and bushing and fired about 200 rounds through it flawlessly.
The only thing I didn't like was that the finish was completely gone and the way my hands perspire, I figured that I should get it refinished.
I really like to look of parkerizing, but my local gunsmith recommended a black moly-type finish. He also talked me into getting new sights, a trigger job, and lowering and flaring of the ejection port.
I didn't realize till later that the gun will probably loose all of its value with these modifications. But since I am never going to sell it, I might as well enjoy it and a refinish job will certenly make it more usefull to me.
What do you think?
BTW what do you think this thing is worth? I won't be able to get the serial # off of it for 3 week while the smith is working on it.

Here she is:

Here's another oldy that I inherited--Walther model 4:

My main weapon of choice:

[This message has been edited by finalreaction (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi FinalReaction! Welcome to the forum!

Always nice to have a gun handed down, and know its history. Are you sure you cant call the smith to stop the refinish and sight work. that would suck if it turned out to be rare $2000 gun even in worn funish

Cheers
Ty

------------------
Visit my 1911 site www.CoolGunSite.com

[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
If it's not too late, call the gunsmith and put a stop to the work. The gun really doesn't look that bad. You really don't want to put a lot of $$$ into a old gun that needs to be treaded relatively gingerly anyway.

If you badly want a low-cost shoter, there's a lot of folks on this board that'd happily buy that old warhorse off of you.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Get that gun back!! Now! There's two things in play here.. ONE: That gunsmith of yours, if he was any kind of 'smith at all, would flat REFUSE to modify that gun! TWO: If you want a shooter that bad, get a systema for three bills and shoot 'til the cows come home with bulls on their backs.

Sheesh! Call that man, now!

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
Hi Ben,

Are you as annoyed as me by the new login system at the other forum? I don't mind logging in, but it's a royal pain is the ass to log in, back up, refresh, then get back to the message I wanted to reply to!

Pity I can't get all those guys to head over here instead.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
Maybe I just need to figure out the trick. On my machines at least, I have to do the little cyberdance mentioned above. But then again I also wipe out my cookies each time.

Getting back to the subject at hand, I have a real craving right now for a beat-up old GI gun with a good story behind it. I'm getting bored with all my minty vault guns.

------------------
D. Kamm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts