1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking at a couple of CD's in the local gunshop lately, they seem like nice pistols. the reason I am looking at these is mainly price. i would like to get one and have some wood grips engraved with my fathers name on them. he has a ruger 9mm that he carried during his police and security work. he shoots my colts and really likes them. i wanted to be able to get him a cheaper 1911 that looks nice and shoots good. i'm not worried about punching i inch groups at 25 yards, all i have ever worried about is combat shooting, and being reliable.

i can save up and get a CD for him in a couple of months, but even with the good reports on the site, the negetive really have me worried about buying one.

i would like to be able to "test drive" the gun i want to buy, but that won't happen.

any thoughts??

(i'm in no way slamming the comments on this board, good or bad, the honesty is refreshing)

russel the cop

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I can understand your apprehension Russel. If my Daly was a POS I would say so. Hell, I used to tout the virtues of my Ruger P94 9mm until the tops of the slide rails wore out to the point that lock up and accuracy was affected after only firing 1500 rounds. Every maker will put bad ones out. I have almost 1000 rounds thru my Daly and haven't had one problem. 100 of the rounds fired were Federal Hydrashoks. So when and if something happens that makes me question the reliabiltiy of this pistol I will continue to use it as one of my concealed weapons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have just purchased a CD, and I am pretty happy with the result. I am still in the "learning" stages with the gun, and the only problems I can report are occasional failures to eject, and occasional "black dot-head" syndrome from the CD's overzealous ejector kicking the empties back into my forehead. (Good for laughs at the range!!) I have a Ruger P-95 (not that you didn't guess that), and after 3000+ rounds through it, I have had no problems. So in reply to both posts here, I think that every gun is different. I think that it only takes 001. of an inch between two guns to make a difference in how reliable or accurate one is as oppsed to another. But, to answer your question, for around $350.00 I have a 1911 framed gun that I can customize even further than the way it came from the factory.

·
Registered
249 Posts
mine has never failed to feed or failed to fire. take the slide off, ie, field strip it in the gun shop before you buy. if they won't let you do that go someplace else.
mcole

·
Registered
287 Posts
Russel,
Just my .02 worth... I am an LEO (city PD) and competition shooter (USPSA/IDPA). I have a basic CD 1911FS with no modifications. My total round count in closing in on 4500 with over 95% being my own reloads. A few malfunctions in the beginning attibuted to mags supplied with the pistol. My Wilson mags have been flawless. I am able to match and sometimes exceed fellow competitors using pistols costing over twice as much as my Daly. The only thing I have changed are two recoil springs and four shock buffs. Just general maintenance like brakes on a car. My vote, and many other on this forum, is that the CD line of 1911's are a great pistol for the money. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Originally posted by Ruger_P95:
the only problems I can report are occasional failures to eject, and occasional "black dot-head" syndrome from the CD's overzealous ejector kicking the empties back into my forehead. (Good for laughs at the range!!)
Hey ...Go order a WilsonCombat extractor 70 series from Lou at the Wacky Worm.(#101,70)
I will fit and tune it for you!
I think it cost $15-$20.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah you lazy schmuck. Pick up the damn phone and order it or does sniper have to do that too

BTW I have my 1911 in hand now and I cant wait to shoot it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why are you guys so mean... I'm a very sensitive creature... maybe I LIKE getting hit in the head with the empties!!!

Yeah you lazy schmuck. Pick up the damn phone and order it or does sniper have to do that too

BTW I have my 1911 in hand now and I cant wait to shoot it.[/B][/QUOTE]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts