1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might make an interesting thread for everyone to read and/or post to. Here's mine:

In 1992, as a LEO (and avid Colt 1911 fan!), I was assigned to our 'Street Crime Unit'. Most of the work was hanging out in the downtown core, in plainclothes, and doing street level drug interdiction. One night, my partner and I spotted three males headed into a 'dead-end' alley that was frequented for drug deals. We gave them a few moments, thinking we'd interrupt, a very minor drug exchange, and moved in. We made a very quick approach. I was the 'contact' officer and my partner 'cover'. The male that we figured for the "dealer" immediately turned to me, as I shouted "police don't move", and in his hand, instead of a drug package which I intended to grab away, I could see the outline of "old slabsides". He yelled back "it's not loaded, it's not loaded!" I yelled, "Gun!", for my partners benefit, and being too close to the male, was just committed to moving in on him. Luckily, he kept the muzzle pointed down and I was able to grab it right out of his grasp. The other two males immediately went to prone when ordered and the third, who'd had the gun, very soon after.

Let me say that having now been a LEO for 21 years, handguns are still not often encountered by law enforcement in Canada (at least in the westcoast city where I live and work). Legally owned handguns have been registered in Canada federally since 1935. So, if the 1911, by serial number was not on the national computer system as 'stolen', at least it could be returned to the rightful owner, if 'registered', as in this case.

This 1911 was an original Colt Commercial serial # C66XX (yeah, four digit!!)that had obviously seen some use. There was a name and military unit name engraved on the slide.
To make a long story short, the rightful owner was contacted. He was a retired, federal fisheries (peace)officer. The 1911 had been his father's, the name on the slide, and he had carried it in WWI. The 1911 had been stolen in a break-in around 1972, and the owner thought he'd never see it again. At home he had another 1911, about 100 numbers off the serial number of the recovered 1911, that had been owned and carried by his father's brother also in WWI.

It is very gratifying to return such an item to it's proper owner! I told the old gent that if he ever considered selling his 1911's to please contact me. I didn't hear from him again and then about 5 years later received a letter asking me to contact him. I did and he said that his health was getting poor and no one in his family was interested in firearms. He wanted to give me the Colt's if I was interested. Was I interested??!!

We met a short time later and worked out a deal. I became the proud owner of two four digit serial numbered Colt Commercial 1911's (both made in 1914) He also threw in a H&R nine shot .22 revolver as well.

Well, that's my best Colt acquisition story, what's yours? NAA

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Banned
5,947 Posts
NAA...
Really neat story. That's the beauty of collecting. So many great stories about the history of some of these guns.

Mine is a pretty simple story. In my early years of collecting Colts, I ran across a Colt military 1911A1. It was in excellent condition and priced at about $450. No one would buy it because it didn't look like a standard early 40's military Colt, possibly a parts gun. The price was right so I bought it. The gun was however in excellent condition with a 1940s Commercial parkerized slide.

Years later, I was pleased to find out that this Colt was one of 7,000 original Commercial Colts transferred to the military. On top of that, the gun also has the Swartz firing pin safety cut-outs.

I knew there was something special about that gun. It took years to find out what it was.

Regards,
Sam

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 10-13-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,411 Posts
Mine is probably a 1917 military in 95%+ shape I bought a year ago for $1200. It sounds like a lot until you realize how much they've climbed since then.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I went back and forth with a guy over my 1916 Commercial. When I got it for $1075 in almost 98% condition. I immediately took it to the desert for a shooting session. Oh baby these oldies have a 90 year story. Compared to the new ones its like night and day. Nothing upsets the new ones where the oldies like very specific ammo. Also handling must be in good order.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine was not a 1911 but a SAA. Local gunshop had a 2nd gen .44 special, 5 1/2" barrel. He didn't know much about handguns, mostly rifles and shotguns. No price was on it. When I asked he said " oh, I don't know, how about $325?" I said "yup".

------------------

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie' until you can find a rock"

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well my story is not anywhere near as good as NAAs but, here goes:

An old women came into my local FFLs shop after her husband had passed with an impressively documented and unfired Colt collection along with original sales receipts and boxes for everything along with letters of authenticity from Colt for each pistol.

The collection consisted of a few old SAAs, some .32 autos that Im not familar with, a late 60s 6" Python with a unturned cylinder, and a lone holster.

My dealer unsnapped the holster and pulled a Lightwieght Commander out. He dropped a loaded mag and racked the slide, ejecting a Winchester Silvertip out of the cylinder.

The widdow apologized saying that she wasnt aware the gun was loaded and explained that her husband had bought the gun and that it had sat in their nightstand since the original purchase but, it had never been fired. She had also left the box for the gun at home.

I bought the commander immediately after she left the store. Along with the gun, I got the holster, the Silvertips, colt authentification letter, manual, and the original owners purchase receipt. And on the sales receipt: the gun, holster, and a box of Winchester Silvertips.

My FFL asked me if I wanted him to call her and ask for the box for the gun and I declined.

Even without the box, its still my favorite piece in my collection and, the only gun I own that I cant bring myself to shoot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Walked into a dealers just behind a Collection. To make a short story shorter, I walked out w/ a 3 digit pre-war ACE and and 4 digit pre-war 38 Super. Both 95%+. It was a good day.

Roger D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts