1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really appreciate everything I learn on this board. Thank you. Your call pistolsmiths--Given the choice, do you pick a stainless 1991A1 or a Carbon Steel 1991A1 considering all possible factors such as longevity, carry, corrosion, etc. Only minimal mods planned such as trigger, MSH, sights. thanks, ricko

One more thing--may want to checker FS someday.

[This message has been edited by ricko (edited 05-24-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Make mine stainless! Short of hard-chrome, nothing is more durable. Holster wear really takes a toll on a blued gun - not that it is a bad thing mind you.

Stainless steel is also easier to buff out a scuff or scrap - no need to re-blue.

I think they just look nicer, as well.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Carbon Steel!

If you have a corrosion problem go with matte hard chrome

[This message has been edited by Roverman (edited 05-24-2001).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like stainless, but don't like bright guns. I'll someday have my stainless aluminum frame Kimber coated black. I figure that'll slick up the frame-slide fit to minimize wear of the aluminum rails.

Byron

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would pick carbon steel unless you are in a situation where it is very humid or the gun is exposed to body sweat most of the day.

Then stainless or hard chromed may be a more appropriate choice. It would be less resistant to corrosion and eliminate the need for maintenance through the day.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I would choose a stainless gun with a satin finish. This is the finish on the HCR2000 racegun featured on our web site. This is an excellent finish for a hard used gun or one thats carried a lot. However I will have to admitt that a blue slide over a satin stainless frame is very appealing to the eye and I find this to be my favorite as for looks.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
That figures

That old SA of yours looks stainless anyway!!!! Are you SURE there is some blueing on there?

...There ain't nothin' wrong with that finish!!!

LOL

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
ricko, I have a pre series 80 Combat Commander that is a work in progress. Ihad the hardchrome finish it came with removed{the gunsmith left it on the barrel, which turned out to be a good thing} and have been adding parts as I can afford them. I live in central Florida but with reasonable diligence have kept my baby corrosion-free. Alot depends on personal taste/lifestyle. I'm old fashioned and like blued guns and nice wood. I'm willing to make the extra effort to ensure my firearms are meticulously maintained. Semper Fi, Ray Rinehart

1 - 11 of 11 Posts