1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking today about the different guns I have had in my life. There are a few that are very special but there is one that sticks out in my mind. So here is my favorite gun memory......

Remember the days when there was no internet? When all you had was an old magazine that you carried around dreaming about the gun you would own one day. Gathering old Coke bottles and turning them in so you could get enough change to buy something you wanted. Yeah, you remember those days.

I grew up around guns and hunting, so there were always some gun magazines around the house. I was about 12 years old when I started dreaming about my first handgun. (My dad bought me a 12 gauge when I was 10) The gun I dreamed about was a Ruger Blackhawk. I talked to my parents and told them the only thing I wanted for Christmas was a Blackhawk. I dreamed for what seemed months about having a Blackhawk. Christmas came and I was up and ready to open presents. There were a few boxes under the tree so I opened each one of them and to my surprise there was no Blackhawk. My dad told me that times were tough and the family business was struggling. I swallowed real hard and thanked my mom and dad for what they had given me. I was sad but I didn’t want my parents to know it, they had given all they could. About that time my dad got up to get some coffee. He came right back in the living room and said “here is one present mom and I forgot to give you”. You guessed it………. IRuger Blackhawk with a 7.5” barrel. I was so happy I cried. It’s still hard for me to believe that my parents trusted me enough to buy me a handgun for Christmas. Credit goes to my dad because he taught me to always respect firearms.

Well it was 7 years ago Tuesday that my dad passed away. I miss not having him around. I still have my Ruger Blackhawk and always will. I know this is a 1911 forum so just in case you are wondering I do have a SA 1911. I wouldn’t trade my 1911 for the world but nothing can take the place of my Blackhawk.

Now it’s your turn…. What’s your story?

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
My brother was a 100% disabled Veteran, becoming injured in 1969. He was in and out of the VA hopitals for years. Sometimes being a patient for years on end, then back home. When I could, I took him with me fishing, even up to Canada for a bear hunt. I took him deer hunting a couple of times, even though he did not care to hunt. When Winchester first came out with the Trapper model 94 in the 70's, he bought me one for Christmas. I took it deer hunting a couple of times, but it was not really my cup of tea.

He has been gone now since 1994 and every time I think about deer hunting, I think of our days in camp, shooting the breeze, and drinking a coffee late at night while sitting by the fire talking about southeast Asia, and all the places he had been. Every time I see that stubby 30-30 I get a catch in my throat because I remember him smiling when he gave it to to me that Christmas day, and later his handling it at deer camp. I can never part with his gift. He didn't leave much else in this world except my memories of him.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My Dad bought a WWI vintage S&W Handejector .455 model revolver around 1958 for the princely sum of $50. On the side of the factory 6 1/2" barrel it was engraved with the name of the Lieutenant that was a member of the 29th Battalion CEF [Canadian Expeditionary Force] in the Great War. It was always around when I was a kid. Even though my Dad wasn't much of a shooter or as I later found out, even kept any ammo for it.

When I got into guns, on my own initiative, in the late 70's/early 80's I picked up some surplus ammo for it [headstamped Dominion .455 Colt] and Dad & I shot that old pistol for the first time in many years.

Around 1986 my Dad built a new home for them to move into as they went into semi-retirement. When he moved from the rural setting of my boyhood home to the new one in a more urban environment he decided it was time for me to have the old Smith wheelgun.

I have shot it a little since then. I have since acquired brass, dies and correct bullets to load for it. My Dad will be 80 years old next year but is still going strong. Every once in awhile he asks if I still have the old Smith and says I could trade it or sell if if I wished. But I think I will just keep it until, hopefully, it is time to pass it down to my own son.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/29th_(Vancouver)_Battalion,_CEF

NAA.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Bought my g/f's daughters a BB pistol to learn how to shoot.Took her 9 yr old shooting with us one weekend.I let her shoot the BB gun,the .22,and the .38.Just before we was going to quit I loaded one round in magazine of my .45 and let her shoot it at hillside.The look on her face was priceless.And to my suprise she didn't drop either 38 or 45 from recoil.

Think I am going to get a 10/22 and a .22 revolver for them in the spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts