1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the course of the years, I've been subjected to a number of "required" combinations of duty gear and in all honesty, most of it wasn't very comfortable. And yes some of it changed and made things better but not really comfortable. Sam Browne's replaced by double belt systems not using keepers was one that comes to mind but still, the comfort factor only improved by a small factor. But that's "duty" gear.

In the civilian or off-duty spectrum, the number of choices for a more comfortable carry is numerous. Leather versus synthetics for belts, Kydex versus leather, Kydex leather hybrids for holsters, and of course the weapon being carried. I've found though that it still depends on the "task" as to what I find the most comfortable combination. I never open unless I'm working on my property. With that said I've found that for work/chores/fences and the like my most comfortable rig is my Simply Rugged 2" plain leather belt with their OWB "pancake" holster and my three-inch S&W model 29 or 19. For "social" occasions I've found the KORE belt, one of my well-worn assortment of IWB Milt Sparks VM II's and either my Colt New Agent 45 ACP or my Glock G19 seems to be the most serviceable.

What are your most comfortable and serviceable combinations for your various life tasks?

Reactions: DubfromGa

· Registered
590 Posts
Hard to say. Like you, I find different combinations more comfortable in different situations.

In general, though, I much prefer OWB pancake style holsters to paddle holsters or IWB styles. I prefer leather belts and holsters over nylon or Kydex. I like the "feel," the "look" and the way that leather tends to mold to your body and carry location after a while. Leather seems to get more comfortable to me the more I wear it. For general work outdoors around the hacienda, I prefer a shoulder holster setup (with or without belt loops depending on the activity). If I'm going to be doing something that's going to work up a sweat, I'll try to plan ahead and wear a shoulder rig made from nylon (an exception to my general preference for leather) since the nylon seems to not soak up the sweat like leather.

My state combines concealed carry with open carry if you have a carry permit, so I don't really worry over much about printing or movement that gives an occasional glimpse of my holstered firearm.

· Registered
1,101 Posts
I wear a Kore lined ratcheting belt. 1836 leather owb holster and a Shield 45 is the most comfortable I've found. You really dont know you are carrying but I think that says more about the weight of the Shield than anything else. Same belt, various owb holsters or ss2 iwb, with a steel comander is still very doable but you can feel the weight. This may again say more about the belt as a 2 piece race belt seems to be the best for carrying any gun.

· Registered
5,983 Posts
What are your most comfortable and serviceable combinations for your various life tasks?
One of my favorite life tasks is a good nap, so pajamas and a bedside stand win the comfort category.

Seriously, once you get down to the size and weight of a G43 or P365, you need to work hard to find an uncomfortable setup. A belt that's not too stiff and a holster that is well made is all you need; there are many options for both.

· Registered
3,663 Posts
I've trained myself to find an all steel 5" 1911 to be just as comfortable as a G43 as long as it's in a good holster and belt combo. Right now I'm wearing a Warbird Leather pancake holster and belt with a 5" custom ACW "Retro" (full house retro conversion) Colt Series 80. I can literally nap with that rig on. Is a G43 lighter and smaller? Sure, but as far as comfort goes, I really don't notice the difference.

· Registered
3,066 Posts
I went into federal law enforcement back in the mid 1980's and tried for many years to find the best belt. I was in the Border Patrol for several years before I moved to a higher paying agency in plain clothes. I tried leather belts, nylon belts, and for a number of years wore nylon belts. Until I found the 5.11 Apex Gunner's Belt. It looks like a dress belt and appears to be made of rubber. It is B10 coated webbing with a 1,500 lbs tensile strength. It easily and comfortably holds my OWB Blade Tech Eclipse kydex holster, along with two double Blade Tech magazine pouches, and a handcuff case.

I wore this belt/holster/magazine pouches/handcuff combination concealed under 5.11 shirts for 7 years before I retired and continue to wear (7 years after I retired) it as it still appears almost like new. I wore it on/off duty as well as to court with a suit. It is still my best and most comfortable belt. Unfortunately, for those that don't have one, it appears that 5.11 may have discontinued it.

Belt buckle Bag Beige Font Jewellery

My EDC since I retired. Though I have since changed out the full size NHC to a Commander size DW.
Everyday carry Bag Auto part Luggage and bags Metal

· Registered
4,838 Posts
My first method is a sub-compact with a pocket holster in my pocket. My second method is to use the special undershirt with the gun in its pocket. Wearing a special shirt over the undershirt is even better too. Then I go with a IWB Alienware holster if I carry a larger pistol.

· Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I usually use a Mitch Rosen shoulder holster and it carries all of my 1911s very comfortably. In the heat of summer here in TN I will use a DeSantis Nylon shoulder rig that works with my 1911s and my revolvers. It is a very versatile rig to use, especially when I am using my Ranger in the woods around my place.

· Registered
2,609 Posts
5 inch GI 1911, El Paso Saddlery Summer Cruiser holster, belt kinda doesn't matter. Leather 1.5" with enough thickness to support a pistol.

You can swap out gun and holster manufacturer if you like. I've got Galco and Master's holsters in that same pattern, and I carry my M&P & CSX in the same fashion with equal or greater comfort (based on the pistol, not the holster manufacturer). It's arguable the CSX might win by a hair in a purely physical aspect, but that also depends on how one defines comfort.

I am certainly more at ease with a full/Commander size pistol even if I am more aware of it's presence, shall we say? As in I'm aware of the weight, but they don't rub wrong, poke where they shouldn't poke, etc.

I'm still toying with the shoulder holster. I like the idea, but haven't sorted out execution.

· Registered
304 Posts
The absolute most comfortable combination I have is a Raven Concealment Perun OWB holding a Glock G19FS Gen 4.

Just disappears under a t shirt and is supremely comfortable to wear all day. Came with hardware for multiple modes (IWB, AIWB, Crossdraw) but 3:00 OWB is most useful for me.

· Registered
2,786 Posts
I am thinking my most comfortable has to be either my ULCC or ULC Commander in a Sparks Criterion with a Sparks belt and magazine pouch. The ULCC has been the most carried pistol since retiring 6 years ago. With that being said I have a Sig 365 XL that I have been carrying some in a KM Kydex IWB holster and its quite a but lighter but might not be as comfortable.
Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Fashion accessory

· Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
My holster, belt and mag holder is the same regardless of the gun. Milt Sparks shark belt, shark S4C mag holder and a shark trimmed Criterion. I do also use a shark trimmed 55BN at times but the Criterion is more concealable and more comfortable too.

· Registered
347 Posts
A pair of loose gym shorts with my 454 Casull tucked in my waistband...Just kidding...lol

IWB Desantis Pro Stealth with my XDE or G26, with or without a belt, depending on weather I have sweats/shorts or jeans/slacks on...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts