1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I am just in the process of getting a Knight Suppressor, my first, and wanted to know from people with some experience what they thought about them. Also thinking of getting a H&K MK 23 and wanted to hear from any current or past owners about their experiences. Thanks.:)

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Suppressor = Silencer?

If you are in the US you had better have the right paperwork for a "suppressor" or you need to watch out for the black helicoptors...

I know that Sweden encourages silencers to reduce noise pollution.

Not many here have even seen a suppressor, so don't expect too many responses.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one ordered. You need to fill out some paperwork and it takes about 60-90 days, but it is possible. Also, there is a $200 tax per each item you buy. I have shot a MK 23 with suppressor once and it was way cool, but I thought I should see if others have more experience perhaps some special ops guys.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Not in Kalifornia

1911Supremo said:
I have one ordered. You need to fill out some paperwork and it takes about 60-90 days, but it is possible. Also, there is a $200 tax per each item you buy. I have shot a MK 23 with suppressor once and it was way cool, but I thought I should see if others have more experience perhaps some special ops guys.
California does not want us to have toys like that. Pity.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
subscriber said:
If you are in the US you had better have the right paperwork for a "suppressor" or you need to watch out for the black helicoptors...

I know that Sweden encourages silencers to reduce noise pollution.

Not many here have even seen a suppressor, so don't expect too many responses.
Suppressors are civilian legal in more than half the country. My friend had one for full-auto-only M-11 here in CT.

It's a $200 transfer tax and some ATF paperwork (form 1, fingerprints, photos). Besides the wait (90 days) you open up yourself to 4:00 AM unannounced searches just to make sure the suppressor and paperwork is where they are supposed to be.:mummy:

Here in CT you can have belt fed machine guns (full-auto-only), suppressors, short barreled shotguns and SB rifles.

IMO, the MK 23 is cool but the USP Tactical is a better choice. The MK 23 is the Desert Eagle of the .45 ACP world. The USP Tactical is smaller and holds the same amount of rounds. It's also less expensive. But, if you have your heart set on the MK 23, go for it. The USP recoil in .45 is soft to begin with. For me my USP .45 feels like I'm shooting 9mm. So the MK 23 must have even LESS felt recoil due to the size/weight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to the 4:00 AM cavity search. :biglaugh: OneJaggedHole, I will check out Johns Guns to improve my general knowledge. Can you tell me how specifically they are better (quality, durability, noise reduction?). Also how often you actually get to use hush cans and how well they work in general. Thanks.:rock:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nf9648,

I hope you make it back from enemy lines safe and sound. Thank you very much for your service. Do you have any experience with the Mk 23? What do you think? Also to the guy with the paddle comment, I have several carry guns, Wilson SDS, NHK Predator III, and LB TRS, but I am looking for a different type of weapon with a hush can that I can shoot without hearing protection and this seems like a quality choice.

·
Registered
229 Posts
1911Supremo said:
nf9648,

I hope you make it back from enemy lines safe and sound. Thank you very much for your service. Do you have any experience with the Mk 23? What do you think? Also to the guy with the paddle comment, I have several carry guns, Wilson SDS, NHK Predator III, and LB TRS, but I am looking for a different type of weapon with a hush can that I can shoot without hearing protection and this seems like a quality choice.
If you're looking for a range queen that is quiet then the Mk23 boat anchor with a good supressor is one of the best choices, IMO. I prefer a M92 Beretta with 147gr ammo and a good can but that's just me. I've fired several Mk23 boat anchors and they're a wicked accurate pistol.
Good luck finding a Knights supressor. They're around though.
CCF in Richmond makes a licensed copy of the Brugger & Thommet supressor that the Mk23 boat anchor is designed for and tested with.

Like a Desert Eagle, the Mk23 boat anchor is great for range converstation, armchair commando missions, Mall Ninja training, ego enlargement and plinking.
That being said, I wouldn't pass up a good deal on either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fellas, the boat anchor thing is getting tired. I realize its a big gun but I already have several 4" 1911s including a LB, Wilson, and NHK. I am looking for something different, accurate and believe it or not I probably won't be carrying this one around all the time. All of you sea captains are slamming the size of this beast but you all seem to admit to its accuracy and quality, which is what I wanted to hear about. Anyone else have an opinion on this puppy please speak up, but I readily admit it is on the large size.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Let me be the first to point out is is an ounce lighter than a Kimber Warrior, and not too big for the man hands attached to my 6 foot built like a picket fence frame. If nobody likes it, they can sell me one for the price of a boat anchor.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
1911Supremo said:
nf9648,

Only fired one that a guy brought to the range I shot at every weekend outside Ft Hood. It was love at first pull, I got to run a couple mags through it and vowed I would one day own one. I still vow that to this day, I just hope that in 07' theyre still available after I get back from Iraq, and hope theyre available in communist Hawaii at that. Im already limited to 10 round handgun mags here, I can see something as asinine as banning guns with threaded barrels in Hawaii knowing that supressors and other NFA restricted items are already illegal here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My experience is similar to yours. The guy who runs the gun store I have bought a few guns from in the past let me run a few clips through one with a can that was being bought by another customer. It was a real joy and I seemed to shoot it very well for my skill level. This was about two years ago and it left such a lasting impression that I finally had to order one despite the hassle of the paperwork on the can. I can't wait to get it, hopefully before March and will definitely let everyone know how she runs. Sounds like Hawaii may not be the best place to try and land one of these bad boys, but it sure is a beautiful place. Take care and be safe and I wish you and the rest of our folks a speedy and successful time in Iraq. You:rock:

·
Registered
229 Posts
1911Supremo said:
Fellas, the boat anchor thing is getting tired. I realize its a big gun but I already have several 4" 1911s including a LB, Wilson, and NHK. I am looking for something different, accurate and believe it or not I probably won't be carrying this one around all the time. All of you sea captains are slamming the size of this beast but you all seem to admit to its accuracy and quality, which is what I wanted to hear about. Anyone else have an opinion on this puppy please speak up, but I readily admit it is on the large size.
I'm no sea captain, mall ninja or even a Walter Mitty wannabe. I'm too lazy for that. What I am is tired of other fat lazy slobs who aspire to be gun show commandos carrying on about various pea shooters like the gun itself is some kind of hero.
You, on the other hand, seem to be looking for a good supressor platform which it unarguably is. HK spent a lot of money developing it for that.

Yes I'm slamming the size and admitting the accuracy.
I'm slamming the size because, like a Desert Eagle, people usually buy them for silly reasons. I used to get a lot of DEs traded back in with a half box of ammo and a bunch of excuses like "my wife/gf doesn't want this in the house" or "ammo is too expensive".

It's a free country and I'm all for doing your own thing for your own reason.
My goal is to get the Mall Ninjas reading this to think twice about shelling out $2K plus for the wrong reasons.

It sounds like I'm not alone in my reasoning, conflicted though it may seem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
J E D,

Sounds fair enough to me and I would certainly not recommend it as one's first or only gun. I believe you stated my interest in the MK 23 better than I did. I am looking for a good platform for a suppressor and was very impressed with how this shot. I obviously did not spend much time with the pistol and that is why I am asking for opinions on reliability and other long term issues. I admit she is a beast and I will probably only use her at the range and outdoors in NH, but my limited experience with this pistol was a lot of fun.:) Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
678 Posts
i love texas.....i just moved here from california and yea its awesome i go to gun shows all the time and see guys selling supressors...from what i understand dont quot me on this but u can buy one and have it the same day its a background check paper work and a 200 tax stamp....im looking at getting few now so when i get my first supressor i should have a better idea about what you have to do to LEGALLY get them....also the mark 23 hk is a big bulky gun....the hk usp tactical i think is a much better choice do to the only diffrence in the hk usp and the usp tactical is the barrel threaded for a supressor...i see knights suppressors sold here all the time...the other popular ones are surefire aac and amc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gunlovintexan,

I may be wrong about this but I believe the USP model and the MK 23 have few if any of the same parts. I also believe the USP model is not as accurate. Besides, with an eight inch can hanging off the front of it what is another inch or two. The dealer I am buying the can from says it may take him a little while to get the can only because the military is in need of them, but I have no problem waiting till they get theirs first. I believe the rest of the paperwork etc. takes about 60-90 days depending on your jurisdiction. Texas may be easier than many other states.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.