1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I have two guns -- an all purpose .45 (all purpose to me) and a nice and concealable .380.

Currently, when I go to the range for some basic shooting, it's an indoor range. I usually shoot through 4 magazines with the .45 (target FMJ) at 7-10 yards, then 4 magazines with the .380 (target FMJ) at 7-10 yards, then I go back to the .45 for 4 magazines (JHP or new ammo, sometimes target FMJ at further distance), then back to the .380 for 4 magazines (JHP or new ammo, sometimes target FMJ at further distance). Then it's back to the .45 (target FMJ) for 2 or 4 more magazines at 7-10 yards, then back to the .380 (target FMJ) for 2 or 4 more magazines at 7-10 yards. I like using the larger paper targets. The pistols always get cleaned up after.

What's your routine? Or maybe you never do the same thing twice...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have a specific set of distances I shoot at. My indoor range extends out to 50 feet. I occasionally shoot out to 50. Most of my shooting is 30 feet and under.

I try to shoot same platforms: Sig P220/P239 Glock 26/30, if I shoot a 1911, I usually shoot that exclusively. 75/125 rounds is about standard for me.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Range routine.....

I shoot at an outdoor range, mostly for practicing IDPA action shooting. I normally shoot my STI Eagle 9mm.

I set up three IDPA cardboard targets near the berm, spaced about 6' or more apart.

Warm up: At 20 yds., I shoot about 9 rounds of slow fire, 2 to the body and one to the head on each target......just to ensure that my gun is shooting to POA vs POI. I then go downrange and tape my targets.

I work on various drills and techniques, so my routine may vary from one session to the other. I may start at 7 yds. and do the Mozambique or Failure to Stop drill ( 2 shots to the body, 1 to the head). I load my mags with 15 rounds each and start with 15+1 in the gun. I use my shot timer to check my overall times and the first shot from the draw. I work on the fastest speed that will allow all zero down hits.....for me, there is a fine balance of what speed is best.....and I usually do this drill in an average time of 1.86 seconds (without using a cover garment!). Since the gun gets lighter when I am down to 3 rounds in the mag, it is still important to get all my hits in the zero down areas. I might shoot 30 rounds (two mags) at 7 yds.

Next, I may do "shooting on the move" drills at 10 yds. I may move laterally and shoot on all 3 targets, two shots each and start with 15+1 rounds in the gun. I may change to shooting on the move going forward and backward for another 16 rounds.

I may then shoot at 10 yds. behind a portable shooting bench doing strong hand only and weak hand only drills, using the timer. When I fire weak hand, I usually start with the gun in my weak hand at low ready, but will practice strong hand draws to weak hand transfer once in a while. Two of our action shooting bays have steel plate racks with 6-8" plates that can be reset using a long rope. This saves time since you don't have to tape targets. I sometimes practice strong and weak hand on the steel plates..... I may also practice slide lock reloads using the plate rack. Our range requires a distance of ten yards from the plate rack for safety. If I can use the steel plate rack, I may back off to 20 yds. and shoot the plates from the draw and use my shot timer to check my times....I have to slow down to get a good run when shooting at 20 yds!:rock:

The reason I start with 16 rounds, (15+1) is to get use to drawing a heavy gun and being able to make good transitions with a heavy gun.....I also don't have to reload the empty mags as often. The heavier weight of the gun allows a bit more exercise for the muscles I use during shooting. Since I live in FL, shooting year round is normal....however, I do bring a large beach umbrella with an added long pole and spike that I can place over the portable shooting bench so I can use the shade when reloading mags or shooting on the plate rack. During the summer, I may spend 90 minutes at the range, which includes picking up my brass. During the winter, I may spend 3-4 hours or more and pack a lunch....! :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have a range set up in the basin of an old stock tank that has been drained, so there is a berm on three sides and have steel silhouettes (14 of them) of different sizes set randomly in a crescent shape. Range is from contact distance to 60 yards. I can add cardboard IDPA targets to this when needed. I usually start with a dozen or so reps of draw and fire 2 hits center of mass to several (usually three) targets, different size targets at different distances. Then will do Mozambique drills on various size/distance targets. Then practice shooting on the move while engaging multiple targets.

Next, I will randomly download several mags, and do the same so that I have to practice reloading from slide lock with unknown number of rounds in each mag.

Usually finish with speed rock drills on full-size silhouette, then go to 25-50 yards for slow aimed fire at my 4"-6" silhouettes.

This varies a bit, but I will rarely shoot less than 250 rounds at a session. Sometimes a lot more, depends on lots of factors.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I belong to a gun club with multiple ranges. I have theme days. One day is for bolt-action scoped rifles at the 100 and 200 yard ranges. One day is for lever-action iron-sight rifles at the 50 or 100 yard ranges. One day is for rim-fire rifles at the 100 yard range. One day is for single-action revolvers at the 10 and 25 yard ranges. One day is for double-action revolvers. One day is for government model 1911s. One day is for Glocks.

When I shoot handguns, the first two shot are my primary carry and my pocket BUG with the ammo in them and the spare magazines. I want to know that they work as carried with the ammo carried.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The first thing I do when I get to the range is draw from concealment and run a mag through my carry gun to stay familiar with it. The last thing I do before I leave the range is draw from concealment and run a mag through my carry gun to stay familiar with it. Everything in between varies.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Good information everyone. Thanks, all for posting your range routine!
I wish i could practice like you all. We are only allowed to shoot at 25-50 yards on the pistol target range here, no simulations or no 7-15 yard shooting. No rapid fire at the targets. So i practice at home, dry firing and practice home brake-in drills.
Scott

PS:
There is a indoor range at the Honolulu Firearms & Range club, in downtown Honolulu. They do have 15 yard target lanes.
But i cannot see shelling out $400.00 a year to be a member, plus i believe you have to use their ammo!!
Scott

·
Registered
482 Posts
The first thing I do when I get to the range is draw from concealment and run a mag through my carry gun to stay familiar with it. The last thing I do before I leave the range is draw from concealment and run a mag through my carry gun to stay familiar with it. Everything in between varies.
I'm with you. This also "rotates" my actual carry ammo, so I'm not carrying the same rounds in mags for too long.

My range time is usually deep in the woods, up major steep hills, where none but the most dedicated will hike! In this way, I can practice shooting on the move, drawing from holster, etc....

My local gun club is ok to shoot at, if you like target shooting from 25, 50, 100 yds. I prefer "defensive" shooting, so normally skip the gun club....unless I'm looking to sling some arrows in the archery range.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I have my own ranges set up in my yard and pasture and practice both steel gongs of asst. size and paper. When shooting paper from 15-25yds. my routine is usually one mag or cylinder full depending what I'm shooting, followed by head shaking, cursing, blaming the gods, and my eyesight. This tends to be my usual routine anymore with the occasional day of strutting and bragging, very occasional.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
"not carrying the same round in mags too long"

I've wondered about this. I regularly shoot ammo that's between 80 years old to new stuff.

"collectible" rounds, paper shotshells, WW1 surplus, pinfire, you name it. Some stored properly, some not.

Generally speaking, it all works. & modern .22 fails more than Winchester Super Speed, kept loose in coffee cans since the 1950's.

Most of the .45 I shoot is from a fifty pound lot that was stored in a leaky, dusty shed in an open crate. Over 100 degrees in there in the summer. It had belonged to the grandfather of the family, who had passed in 1963. WW2 military ball. Rats tore up most of the boxes for & pee'd n' crapped all over it. After some cleaning it cycles fine. In my Sistema, Loaded Springer, & my friend's Kimbers as well.

Also used a bunch of paper shotshells stored in the trunk of a caddy in Oregon for 30 years. Car was green on one side from moss. Trunk smelled like a tomb. They ran fine in an Auto 5.

So I doubt that a year in a magazine is going to have any affect on ammo.

My range routine? Shoot whatever ancient garage-sale rounds I have.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Usually take two 1911's,
Outdoor range, 25 and 50 yard practice.
If I get their early and have it to myself,
I'll do a few double taps and shoot arounds (hold tight groups from a cover position)
Gene

Edit:
Avg 2 to 3 hundred rounds, bout every two weeks.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Slow-fire at 50 yds; usually 40 rounds with the .22.
Rapid-fire, .22 at 25 yards. 100-150 rounds.
Repeat with the .45.
Repeat with service pistol.

The last couple of years I've been playing with the .38 revolver, shooting the NMC (National Match Course) with ball and wadcutter. One goal has been to consistently "clean" targets at 25 yds in the rapid-fire mode, shooting double action. This practice has mostly replaced my .45 routine; I now shoot service pistol and .38 revolver after .22 practice. My routine is 3 times weekly and takes roughly 2 hours. Probably pretty boring to most people here. Not "defensive" practice per se, but I shoot because I like to, not for defensive reasons. Excellent marksmanship is its own reward.

Revolver rapid fire, 25 yards

Service pistol rapid, also 25 yards

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I don't have a routine. I plan what I am going to work on ahead of the time and do that when I come to the range.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I carry 1911's 90% of the time, so when go to the range I usually always shoot a 1911. I try to shoot 200rds each session. It can vary from outdoor stationary target, to indoor (steals my brass) , and sometimes action shooting (not often unfortunately).

I started taking my son with me to a indoor range, so now I shoot a Ruger Mark II 22, and i'll run 50-150rds through my P226. I don't mind loosing the 9mm to the range but I hate loosing 45 brass to the range grates.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
There's the pellet gun range out back.
20141103_115519 (1) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Between the kid and I there's a good selection of fun, accurate guns to shoot and targets to shoot at.

20140801_172339 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Lately he's been a bit bored with it and hasn't shown much interest but we used to shoot at least weekly.

We've set up for 22lr with steel targets and target traps but the neighbor harasses me over that. Once I get a supressor and a supressor ready rifle and pistol we'll be back to it.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
At the range I'll take as many guns as I can carry and usually around 500 rds of ammo. I'll start with some slow fire out to 20-25 yards then focus on speed/accuracy from 15 yards in.

With rifles I do the same from 100 yards in, typically, as that's usually what I've got to work with.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
There's the pellet gun range out back.
20141103_115519 (1) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Between the kid and I there's a good selection of fun, accurate guns to shoot and targets to shoot at.

20140801_172339 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Lately he's been a bit bored with it and hasn't shown much interest but we used to shoot at least weekly.

We've set up for 22lr with steel targets and target traps but the neighbor harasses me over that. Once I get a supressor and a supressor ready rifle and pistol we'll be back to it.
Now that looks FUN!
Bob

·
Registered
264 Posts
I do a "hero or zero" drill cold from concealment or slung rifle.

15 yards, single press to the head inside a 3 inch circle, broken edges count as a hit. Has to be done cold and from the holster, preferably under 5 seconds.

I don't do this to be good at head shots per se, but as a barometer for what I need to work on for the day. A miss gets me to working on fundamentals. A hit means I can work on something else.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts