1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Saturday I go take my CCW class. Its 4 and 1/2 hour long. That is a state mandated amount of time(NC). After I recieve my course "diploma" I send it along with my Application and $90 for processing. The permit is good for four years. I dont know how long it takes to process, but I think I heard around a month from the girl at the Sheriffs Dept when I got my purchase permit. She was talking to someone else about it while I filled out a form.

The class will run me fifty bucks.

It seems to be fairly painless here in NC to get a carry permit, I was wondering how difficult(and expensive!) other states make it for you. While I would institute a mandatory strip search for women(grin), do other states make you jump through hoops to get one?

·
Registered
50 Posts
For a really great source of CCW information check out:
WWW.packing.org

They have information broken down by state, so you can find out what it's like for us poor saps in states that aren't so CCW friendly.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Illinois

·
Registered
37 Posts
INDIANA: (A "SHALL-ISSUE" state)
A trip to your local city/countly building for an application/background check. (includes fingerprinting)

A check to the state for $25.00.
Anotber check to your local P.D. for $15.00.
(paid during your application)

Wait approx. 6-8 weeks and if no felony arrests appear, you get a permit.

Permits are good for 4 years and then you must apply/ pay all over again.

The permit alows you to hve a legally possessed gun on your person or in your vehicle. It is for CONCEALED CARRY ONLY (no open carrying).

Note: This was/is the process as of the last time I applied (04/99), so it may have changed, but I don't think it has.

I would now like to RANT ON ILLINOIS...

That state just pure SUCKS on their stance on firearms! They don't/won't trust their populace to carry. I think Chicago is the main reason; but why should the rest of the state have to suffer?

Illinois is mostly rural and comprised of down-home types...much like Indiana. And last time I checked, Indiana, including Idianapolis, is no Dodge City "shoot 'em up" scenario. So to me, their position on firearms is unfounded and unfair.

I am frequently just across the border in Danville, IL area because my in-laws live there. Residents of IL must have F.O.I.D. cards (Firearms Owner Identification) in order to buy any guns or ammo. For long guns and ammo, you can walk out with them if you have a card. For handguns you must wait (I'm not sure how long, but however long is too long..and if you don't have a card you are S.O.L. period).

As I am not a resident of IL, I am not permitted to even HANDLE anything over there legally, and, I CAN'T EVEN BUY AMMO!

I pitty you poor IL bastards.

·
Registered
655 Posts
A poor sap here in NJ......
You first have to PROVE you have a legit reason to carry. Such as be a private dick, security guard, armour car guard...etc. NO CCW for private citizens in NJ. Not even a retired officer can carry!!! How is that for Facist state? With my town's mayor McGreevy being gov soon, it is gonna get worse....I want to move to Vermont!!!!

[This message has been edited by ZekeLuvs1911 (edited 11-27-2001).]

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, you can ONLY carry concealed? In NC, anyone with a legal handgun can carry OPEN.
In fact a few years ago I was pulled over for speeding and had a Berreta 92d on the front seat. I was too concerned with getting a ticket to even remember it was there, but the trooper did not say a word about the gun and I know damn well he saw it. I was driving a tuarus station wagon with a bench front seat and it was sitting in the middle part about half way between the seat back and the front edge of the seat. He could not have missed it!

Not a word was said about it and I even got a warning instead of a ticket, which is a miracle in itself in NC. When you consider I have a heavy Long Island,NY accent its even more amazing! We yankees are usually cut no slack at all here in the south.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Here in SC, we have to take an 8 hour class. 4 in class, 4 on range. Pass a shooting proficiency test and a written test. Submit $50, three 1 inch photos, two sets of fingerprints to SLED, State Law Enforcement Division, and wait 90 days. Mine is due in this week. I wish SC and NC would get their act together. I visit NC quite a lot with family in Charlotte.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here in NY it is county by county. Contrary to popular belief some parts of NY are still gun friendly. My permit from Oswego county was 10$ for the application and a state manditory 75$ for the fingerprints. I didn't have to take any classes (I did anyway) and can CCW. I cannot carry open however. Took about three months for the whole process.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
simple form, about a 5 day wait for records check, and then 10 bucs at time of pick up

LIVE FREE OR DIE New Hampshire

·
Registered
167 Posts
HI,
In Utah, we're a "Shall Issue" State, thank god.. the only way it could be better is if you could carry open...we can keep hoping, right!
A 4 hour class, basic familiarity test on the range, Passport photos (2), fingerprints cards (2), background check, personal references (2), with notes from those people, 69$ one time non refundable app fee. And assuming you pass that, you're in.
In fact recently, they have been issuing permits based on passing the NCIC check, and if you fail the in depth background check, they pull it back, but my wife got her permit 3 days from the day we dropped off the app!! The permit is good for 5 years and renewal is 10$ I think.
One thing they do here is run the entire CCW database through the NCIC computers on a daily basis, so if you do anything to get into that system, your permit is pulled IMMEDIATELY. I really like that system.
Utah also reciprocates with alot of states(17 right now), as long as their process is equivalent to Utah's process we will recognize it. That is really surprising considering how conservative Utah is, but I'm not bitching!! I wouldn't even think about moving to a state that doesn't have a shall issue CCW permit.

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
Originally posted by robotpusher:
INDIANA: (A "SHALL-ISSUE" state)
A trip to your local city/countly building for an application/background check. (includes fingerprinting)

A check to the state for $25.00.
Anotber check to your local P.D. for $15.00.
(paid during your application)

Wait approx. 6-8 weeks and if no felony arrests appear, you get a permit.

Permits are good for 4 years and then you must apply/ pay all over again.

The permit alows you to hve a legally possessed gun on your person or in your vehicle. It is for CONCEALED CARRY ONLY (no open carrying).

Note: This was/is the process as of the last time I applied (04/99), so it may have changed, but I don't think it has.

You may want to recheck the open carry thing. It says on your permit, "License to carry handgun". It does not mention concealed. You CAN carry open in Indiana with a permit. Call the State Police and ask. They will tell you they don't encourage it, but it ain't illegal.

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here in PA, apply to your local county sherrif, give up 19(I think)dollars.Receive permit in the mail in about 2 weeks or so
Jack

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
In Texas, you send away for a packet that includes some items you need, like a fancy folder that has a place for your picture and your signature; this is used to create the license itself. The Department of Public Safety does a quick check on you before returning the packet, I believe. I don't recall the state fee for a CHL.

The class is longer in Texas and the cost of a class is usually higher. On the other hand, most places that offer classes offer a package deal: you get the class, the range time for shooting your proficiency rounds, fingerprinting and photography, all for one price.

I got my CHL back in about two weeks.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Originally posted by robotpusher:
I would now like to RANT ON ILLINOIS...

That state just pure SUCKS on their stance on firearms! They don't/won't trust their populace to carry. I think Chicago is the main reason; but why should the rest of the state have to suffer?

Illinois is mostly rural and comprised of down-home types...much like Indiana. And last time I checked, Indiana, including Idianapolis, is no Dodge City "shoot 'em up" scenario. So to me, their position on firearms is unfounded and unfair.

I am frequently just across the border in Danville, IL area because my in-laws live there. Residents of IL must have F.O.I.D. cards (Firearms Owner Identification) in order to buy any guns or ammo. For long guns and ammo, you can walk out with them if you have a card. For handguns you must wait (I'm not sure how long, but however long is too long..and if you don't have a card you are S.O.L. period).

As I am not a resident of IL, I am not permitted to even HANDLE anything over there legally, and, I CAN'T EVEN BUY AMMO!

I pitty you poor IL bastards.
Yep, Illinois sucks, or should I say Chicago sucks. There is an uneasy balance between the Cook County area and the rest of the state. If it wasn't for Chicago's left wing political machine I'm certain we would have gotten CCW with HB 401 last year (introduced by a downstate Democrat BTW) and if it weren't for the outlying areas the laws here would be even more draconian. HB 401 was killed in committee after being passed out of committee TWICE. The first time I believe approval was unanimous. Daley and his cronies somehow managed to keep sending it back until they got it to the committee they wanted. More recently Chicago politicians tried getting the "Fanny Pack" loophole closed (a sneaky yet legal way of skirting the ban on carry in Illinois) but the proposal was defeated. That tells me that if Daley's machine would quit meddling in State politics we could get some decent laws in this state.

BTW, it's a 24hr. wait on long guns and 72hrs. for handguns.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by jpwright:

I got my CHL back in about two weeks.

You were lucky. It took me about two months to get mine. They said they were in the process of changing over their software and it was causing delays. This was about 1 1/2 years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize what a pain and hassle it could be in some states. Makes me glad I live in Alabama. As soon as I turned 18, I went to the courthouse, requested one, the nice gal copied the information off my driver's license onto the permit, tore off the carbon copy, and laminated it. Ten bucks, no questions asked, and I have been carrying ever since.

War Eagle!

·
Registered
817 Posts
War Eagle, That's why were haveing a problem with reciprocy (sp?) with other states. Too easy for some, too hard for others. I wish there was a standard so everyone would accept other states CWP's. You would thing states would give neighboring states recip status. No background check in AL?

·
2,895 Posts
Originally posted by fugedaboudit:
This Saturday I go take my CCW class.
Are you taking it at the FOP range with Roy in Statesville by chance? There is a match there every 2nd Sunday.

Also, what kind of motorcycles? Off road by chance?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have an Indiana permit. I live close to the Illinois border and buy ammo there all the time LEGALLY. The problem lies in the fact that Illinois gun dealers have been harassed so badly by the liberal government/media that they might refuse an out of state sale. Same goes for looking at guns at shows.
My question is: Keeping the Gun Control Act of 1968 in mind; Can I legally transport a handgun across the state line for sporting purpose. (as in the closest range to me is in Illinois)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Utah is shall issue, took me about 3 1/2 weeks to get mine back after mailing off the application. non-residents can get one but Utah recently changed the law and now honors all valid US permits.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts