1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a really nice Yugoslavian Mauser today and was wondering if anyone has fired one and how do they shoot. It was priced at $220 and was supposedly made on German equipment at the end of the war and never used. I can say this, the bore and the metal certainly looked new. I am looking for a shooter that may be used as the basis for a custom rifle and am considering this rifle.

------------------
Surrounded? Yes. Outmanuvered? Maybe. Outclassed? NEVER!!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
There were a whole bunch of these that came onto the market a while ago; I think when first offered they were going for about $250 a piece. I saw pictures of them in a rag at some point when they first appeared.

I don't have one; but based on what I know about old Yugo' weapons making and Mauser '98's ...... buy it!

I have too many other priorities myself; but were they taken care of, along with a few things high on my wish list - I would get one too. Matter of fact - I'd get a few of them; they'd make great birthday or Christmas gifts.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If its marked, mod 98, on the left side rail its a German war time produced rifle. If its marked, M48 or M48A, its a post war Yugoslavian produced rifle based on the Mauser K98.
The main difference being the Yugoslavians shortened the action a tad bit for what ever reason. Some mod 98's were captured and refinished in Yugoslavia after the war.
I have an M48A. I really like it and wouldn't part with it. You can get them for about $99.00 on up to $250.00. Conditions range from used to unissued. The mod 98 will all be used and in varying conditions. Ammo is very cheap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the link provided by Popeye and I am sure the rifle I looked at is a M-48. The shiny butplate stuck on my mind. It was being sold as unissued. Looks like just what I need. Thanks for the help, folks.

------------------
Surrounded? Yes. Outmanuvered? Maybe. Outclassed? NEVER!!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have one of the M48As that have come onto the market. Excellent rifle, and a bargain (in my mind) at $109.95. And I absolutely love that Mauser action!

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have seen these at AIM Surplus for about what JP paid. I'm thinking of getting one for the upcoming deer season, so it doesn't need to be ultra-accurate or pristine. Would a gun in this price range (~$110) hold up pretty well for my needs?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I looked at one of these for a very long time at the last show I went to in Georgia. They had no less then 50, in the box, wrapped in paper and covered with cosmoline-very nice guns. They were $195. This was last month with the Ga Mountain Productions show. I think they would have taken less. I wish I had got one but at the time I was looking for a CETME FR8 in 308.

tjg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine shoots flat & accurately out to 200 yds. The key to performance is a clean & oiled bolt which strips down easy. It is as good a rifle as I've ever fired. My only problem is remembering there is no sight adjustment under 200 yds. I'm an old batllefield sights (100 yds) guy & compensating for closer targets with it still gets me. If you want an accurate rifle buy it. No advise to give on sporterizing it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine shoots flat & accurately out to 200 yds. The key to performance is a clean & oiled bolt which strips down easy. It is as good a rifle as I've ever fired. My only problem is remembering there is no sight adjustment under 200 yds. I'm an old batllefield sights (100 yds) guy & compensating for closer targets with it still gets me. If you want an accurate rifle buy it. No advise to give on sporterizing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts