1911Forum banner

Zeroing Red Dot...... my first optic pistol

2054 71
Morning Everyone!

So I am a traditionalist and out of my entire collection of 70 pistols only 2 have optics....
1. I cannot zero the thing
2. I cannot find the dag on red dot
3. Ive been using my irons so long it feels unnatural.

My few questions are.....

1. How do you properly zero your red dot (yes ive read other threads still cannot master)
2. Is your dot suppossed to sit dead on your front sight?
3. Does the red dot actually improve your aim enough to warrant spending $300-$500 on a red dot.

thank you
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Morning Everyone!

So I am a traditionalist and out of my entire collection of 70 pistols only 2 have optics....

1. How do you properly zero your red dot (yes ive read other threads still cannot master)
3. Does the red dot actually improve your aim enough to warrant spending $300-$500 on a red dot.

thank you
Forget the gadgets and stick with iron sights. Learn proper sight alignment and trigger squeeze....Save the dots for video games..IMHO...

·
Registered
177 Posts
In over a dozen optics I've mounted I have never run out of any adjustments. I am going to say that if that happens either the gun is milled wrong way or optic is defective.
The RDS was on another platform and aligned perfectly - so that ain't an issue. Gun milled wrong? Potentially - but C&H does a LOT of these, so probably not it.

There are other options - as in, the barrel lugs and barrel hood were professionally fitted, which allows the barrel to raise a few thousandths higher in the rear than OEM, thus the gun shoots lower....(but locks up better than any OEM 1911)...anyway, adding a shim to raise the rear of the RDS allowed it to be perfect.

·
Registered
960 Posts
The RDS was on another platform and aligned perfectly - so that ain't an issue. Gun milled wrong? Potentially - but C&H does a LOT of these, so probably not it.

There are other options - as in, the barrel lugs and barrel hood were professionally fitted, which allows the barrel to raise a few thousandths higher in the rear than OEM, thus the gun shoots lower....(but locks up better than any OEM 1911)...anyway, adding a shim to raise the rear of the RDS allowed it to be perfect.
That customization of the barrel put the RDS out of its range of adjustment? Regardless, it never occurred to me to shim the RDS to get it into the range of adjustment, something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Gun milled wrong? Potentially - but C&H does a LOT of these, so probably not it.
I would not send my gun for milling to that place. I've a close friend who'd done it and it was a disaster.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Morning Everyone!

thank you
I think part of your problem is contained in Questiong 2. With red dot sights alignment is eye, dot, point of aim. Where the dot is in the field of view of the optic is almost irrelevant. So long as the three points of eye, dot , and POA are in alignment when the shot break you will hit where you are aiming assuming the sight is zeroed. Sight in is no different than iron sights. I start at 7-10 yds to get the dot close and then move out in 5-10 yd increments adjusting as needed to ensure proper POI until I reach my zero distance.

Re question 3. First there are really good dots for less that $300-$400. And, yes. They improve your aim and your speed in get the sight on the POA/POI.

Hope I'm not covering what others have said. With you difficulties, I do agree with the person who suggested get with a trainer or very experience shooter familiar with dots to help get over the hump.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That customization of the barrel put the RDS out of its range of adjustment? Regardless, it never occurred to me to shim the RDS to get it into the range of adjustment, something to keep in mind.
I don't know if it was that or the milling - I know that the gun shoots great after that GUN work was done (8? years ago), then the RDS needed shimmed to get vertically aligned after the slide was milled six months ago.

Regardless - the good news is, now it's freaking great and the RDS is a perfect complement to the suppressor.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
This may be late for this party,

but this sticky thread at the top of this AR forum is a good read

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Morning Everyone!

thank you
I Have & Use a 1" $25. red dot on a couple of my firearms (IMO good enough). It is easily zero-ed by using a quality Barrel-End Laser Sighting Tool. By holding your firearm on a stand, reading instructions, & adjusting the turrets on the sight - to make the scope DOT cover the exact Laser Dot on a wall - this will get you on the paper.- Then you can make additional sight adjustments at the range to move the red dot to point of impact at chosen varying distances. I also have a powerful green laser sight, I adjusted the same way + other cross-hair optics. I use the same technique on all - . it is much easier than looking through the bore.
Good Luck, C.

·
Registered
960 Posts
....I Have & Use a 1" $25. red dot on a couple of my firearms (IMO good enough).....
Are any of these $25 RDS mounted on a pistol slide, specifically on the part of the slide that cycles from recoil on each shot?

I read reviews of $25-$50 RDS on that mount on pistol slides and there are a lot of complaints about malfunctions and getting off zero. If its mounted on a slide, it is in a pretty harsh environment for shock, vibration and acceleration.

That doesn't mean every $25 RDS will do that, its just the few I looked at, the review were not good. And the results might be very different if mounted on a rifle or non-moving part of a firearm.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Are any of these $25 RDS mounted on a pistol slide, specifically on the part of the slide that cycles from recoil on each shot?

I read reviews of $25-$50 RDS on that mount on pistol slides and there are a lot of complaints about malfunctions and getting off zero. If its mounted on a slide, it is in a pretty harsh environment for shock, vibration and acceleration.

That doesn't mean every $25 RDS will do that, its just the few I looked at, the review were not good. And the results might be very different if mounted on a rifle or non-moving part of a firearm.
NO - Not mounted on a reciprocating slide. IMO - For a pistol you would be better off purchasing a powerful CRIMSON TRACE - PISTOL GRIP LASER.
Personally - I wouldn't want an ugly GROWTH in the way - on MY Handguns - I like them sleek..
My only "Pistol" with a Red Dot - does not have a reciprocating slide - but a moving BOLT inside a rigid frame. It is also to big to holster or conceal - The inexpensive red dot on it has done just fine. I think any optic mounted on a slide may not stand up to the beating. Here is my pistol with its elevated RED DOT - so I can also see the iron sights. It also has a powerful green laser that can be seen in daylight. The BRACE really helps accuracy.

Attachments

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yea, from my reading, (i.e. I'm not an expert) the Red Dot Sight is a pretty simple device, they could be produced fairly inexpensively. Like I said before, you can find youtube videos of folks making an RDS out of cardboard and water bottles with an led wired to a battery and they work.

But, also from my reading, the environment of the forces created by a slide cycling, it has to be a very well designed and built device to survive in that environment. And thus why you don't get a $25 RDS for a pistol. Unless of course it is one of those pistols that the entire top of the pistol is the slide and there are places to mount a RDS that doesn't reciprocate.

And your right, if you're holstering and drawing a pistol, an RDS gets in the way. So do many lasers, except for the one built into grips. I've also said, having a huge Deltapoint Pro RDS and a Trijicon RMR that is average size. After you get used to shooting with an RDS, a big enough window is all you need, a bigger window really gets you nothing, I can sight in just as fast and react just as well with the average sized RMR as I can with the bigger Deltapoint Pro, so the only thing the bigger sight and window does is get in the way of holstering and handling the weapon.

I have a laser on my FN FNX-45 tactical with a Trijicon RMR as well. It is a green laser, and green is better for two reasons. One, like you said, its easier to see in bright daylight than red or blue. The other, its a different color than the Dot on a RDS. If you use both, you will not be able to tell which dot is which and since they are mounted above and below the barrel, they will not be cocentric except at the distance they are zeroed.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts