1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it would appear that Santa showed up both early and late this year. And it was the very same Santa each time.

As most of you already know, late in 2007 I was in at our local gun shop at the very moment a guy was putting up a basically NIB slightly modded Wilson full sized CQB for sale at discounted price. That was my early Christmas present.

Then, last weekend I walked into the same range shop and there was a NIB modded up STI Trojan 9mm (which you never see around here) that had been put up for sale by the very same guy, again at a discounted price. Yep, a late Christmas present and from the very same "Santa".

The gun is still at the shop for the next few days (waiting period) but I did shoot it and look it over very well.

Can't post a pic yet but:
you can see her at....www.stiguns.com.....click on Complete Guns (left side) and go to....Trojan 5.0.

I will probably switch out the MSH and the trigger itself....plastic. The trigger pull is 5+ lbs. out of box so that will be lightened up (smith can work with existing parts). This is my 2nd STI (have a Ranger II commander in 9mm) and it was one on my possible list for down the line. The previous owner had already switched out the front sight for a fiber optic (nice for my old eyes) and he had installed an ambi, which was fine with me. She is one tight, smooth gun and functions like an STI.

As to her accuracy:
After taking her for an initial spin and then adjusting the back sight over to the right a bit I put up a new target. Four 115 gr. CCI Blazer 9mm into the center of the target along with one to the top white circle using a modified weaver stance at 10 yards, slow fire. She seems to shoot plenty well enough for my tastes, and just like my Ranger II. :cool:

I do prefer combat sights on my weapons but these target sights (back aligned with the with that fiber optic) looked very usable for my eyes with decent space to each side of the front sight....and that proved to be the case.

This is timely as I got some bad news about my right elbow and need to scale down my .45 shooting. The 9mm takes much less of a toll and I can keep up my heavy shooting routine that way.

Anyone else get a late "Santa" strike?

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Very nice!!! If you can find a used gun that functions well, you can save a nice chunk of cash. The previous owner's loss and your gain!

I can't believe you want to swap out the plastic STI trigger though. I actually replaced an aluminum trigger in one of my guns with the plastic STI just because I liked the look of it so much. It's sort of the STI trademark look.

Nice shooting by the way -- especially for a heavy 5lb trigger!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Should ask the guy what else he's got in his collection go straight to the source and really get a bargain. Congrat on the nice pickups.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Very nice!!! If you can find a used gun that functions well, you can save a nice chunk of cash. The previous owner's loss and your gain!

I can't believe you want to swap out the plastic STI trigger though. I actually replaced an aluminum trigger in one of my guns with the plastic STI just because I liked the look of it so much. It's sort of the STI trademark look.

Nice shooting by the way -- especially for a heavy 5lb trigger!
Guess it is just me, but that stock STI trigger (plastic) just does not fit my personal tastes in triggers.......picky old buzzard that I am.

Most of my triggers are at 3 to 5 lbs....lighter for my personal range shooters and toward the 5 lb. end for the SD/HD guns. This one will be a solid range gun (with those target sights) so it gets lightened up a bit.

Good luck and great shooting to you. :rock:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts